Monday, March 20, 2006

Full board with the Barrets



After Joseph Lee finished his short one year course he went home to his government job in KK. I decided to move into full board accommodations on 14 Elmie Street[1] with Percy and Lorna Barret (mum). He worked for Berger Paint as a chemist and was retired because of his heart problem. He was on an invalid pension. He planted some giant cactus in the back garden and had a pet cockatoo, Cocky. Mum had a small dog, Spotty. The big joke for me was telling them that I loved dogs, eating them! I used to follow Spotty around the house, licking my chops, saying yummy, just to worry mum and saying: I love my dog….stir fried! Poor mum. I wonder whether she was really worried about Spotty or not! Australians believed that all Asians eat dog meat. Their favourite story was about the proprietor of a Chinese takeaway shop being caught and prosecuted for selling cat meat! The fish and chips shops were probably losing business to the Chinese takeaway. So, they started this rumour to kill the competition! Nothing more to it, I am sure, or is it?

The Barrets had an EH Holden station wagon. It was an automatic. Once we went to visit their friends in the Snowy Mountain Schemes in New South Wales. I drove the car all the way to Albury without a car licence! Pappy was too sick to drive and mum was handicapped with one crook arm. Since I had a motor bike and knew the hi-way code, I was elected the driver! We had a great time staying with this family in their porta cabin for a week.
[1] House No: 7, full board with the Barrets.

No comments: